The Pleven region includes the central part of the Danube river plain. It is distinguished for its rich historical heritage and marvellous nature. There are good opportunities for cultural, eco and spa tourism. Evidence for the thousand-year old history of the regional centre Pleven are represented by the numerous cultural and architectural monuments in the town. A sight of great interest are the regional history museum, where valuable artefacts from the Roman town of Ulpia eskus discovered near the village of Gigen, from the late-antique and early Byzantine fortress Storgozia, near the town of Pleven, and from the mediaeval Bulgarian fortress in Nikopol are exposed and the Pleven panorama, which illustrates the five-month battles during the Russian-Turkish war 1877-78.
In the town of Svishtov - an university town and an important port on Danube river there are more than 120 archeological and architectural monuments of local and national significance. There has been preserved architectural ensembles from XVIII and XIX century. In the vicinity of the town are situated the monastery of ''the Assumption'' and the ''Monuments'' Park, and the fortress of ''Nove''. In the town of Lovech, which is and administrative centre, we would like to point out as a very interesting tourist attraction is the old quarter of ''Varosha'' proclaimed and architectural reserve. In the village of Kakrina is situated the memorial site ''Kakrinsko hanche'' connected with the capturing of Bulgaria's national hero -Vasil Levski by the Turks. In the place of Balana, situated east from the town of Lukovit, Thracian silver treasure has been found. It is known as the Lukovit Thracian treasure. The natural reserves of Krushuna and Steneto in Pleven region offer great opportunities for eco and spa tourism. They enchant with their incredible natural beauty and phenomenons such as magnificent caves, marvellous waterfalls, curative mineral springs etc. The Danube river and the dams of Gorni dubnik, Lujenska bara, and Kamenets offer excellent conditions for fishing and other water activities.
The town of Pleven is located in the central part of the Danubian plain, past the Vit river. It has 137 768 inhabitants. The town is situated at a distance of 174 km. to the north - east of Sofia, 35 km. to the north of Lovech, 55 km. to the south- east of Nikopol and at the distance of 146 km. to the south- west of Rousse. The town is a regional centre.
Pleven has centuries of rich and dramatic history full of important key events and interesting facts. It was originated in Thracian times on the place of today's park of Kailuka and it was named "Storgozia", which name was preserved in Roman times too. After its destruction by the barbarians, the Slavs under the name of "Kamenets" rebuilt it. A second settlement was set up to the north of it which was named Pleven. Later on the two settlements were united and they were first mentioned under the name of Pleven in 1266. After the 12 th century the town developed as a craftsman's and trade centre. The town put up a ferocious resistance to the Turkish invaders and that is the reason for its being destroyed and for its population being slaughtered, expelled and converted to Mohammedanism after its downfall. In 1696 Pleven was conquered and set on fire by the Wallachian Chieftain Mihail Vityaz. During the 17 and the 18 th centuries the Bulgarian population in the town grew in number and took the trade and the handicrafts in their own hands and started to develop its cultural life as well. The town became famous on the Balkan Peninsula and in Bulgaria for its market of cattle and sheep. In 1825 a Bulgarian secular school was opened there, in 1840 the first Bulgarian girls school was opened by Anastasia Dimitrova and a year later a new men school was opened. Pleven became famous most of all with the events, which took place during the Liberation Russo - Turkish war of 1877- 1878. The town quickly grew up after the Liberation. The newly built railway lines Sofia- Varna and Pleven greatly contributed to it. Pleven is the 7 th biggest town in Bulgaria as of the present moment.
Most of them are related to the Russo- Turkish war of Liberation. About 200 monuments remind to the generations about the most sanguinary battles, which took place here. There is a Mausoleum- Ossuary dedicated to the Russian and Romanian soldiers killed during the war in the centre of the town- 5 Vazrajdane Square (+35964/30033). The Museum of Liberation of Pleven stands not far from it. Another landmark is the Panorama "Pleven Epopee 1877". It is situated at the top of the hill, created in honour of the 100-th anniversary of the Pleven Epopee, on analogy of the Borodin Panorama in Moscow. Monument to Victory raises on the high hill past the Vit river. You can also visit the Town Museum of History. It is situated not far from the centre. It was erected in honour of the local citizens died in the Serbian- Bulgarian war in 1885. The unique of its kind park of Kailuka, is situated in the immediate proximity of the town on the south in the valley of the Tuchenitsa river.
Pleven is a big transport centre . There are regular bus transportation links to Sofia, Veliko Tarnovo, Lovech, Troyan, Levski and lot more other small settlements. The central bus station is on Republika Square. The railway station is next the bus station, on the same square. Pleven is situated on the main railway line Sofia- Gorna Oriahovitsa- Varna.
The village of Grivnitsa is situated at a distance of 6 km. east of the town. During the war of Liberation the population of the village and region took active participation in the battle action. There is a mausoleum in memory of the killed Romanian soldiers. It is located amongst a spacious park with a lot of monuments. One can go there from the town by train or bus. The town of Pordim is situated at the distance of 21 km. to the east of Pleven. The General Headquarters of the Russian army and of Emperor Alexander the 2-th was located here during the war of Liberation. There is another museum "Romanian soldier 1877- 1878" and a regular bus may reach it, too. A green zone was built up around Pleven about 25 000 sq.m, involving the parks of: "Kailuka", "General Lavrov", "General Genetski" and others. The village of Vulchi Tran is situated at the distance of 22 km. south - east of Pleven, in which the Valchitran gold treasure was found in 1924. In the town of Dolni Dupnik at the distance of 15 km. to the west of Pleven with a lot of monuments from Pleven Epopee. It is the greatest oil field deposit in Bulgaria, natural gas is yielded here too. There are three lakes in its surroundings. They are a favourite place for recreation, water motor sports, water tourism and fishing.
Things to do
There are lots of things to do and see in Pleven here is just a few:
-Visit Rila which is famous for its monastery
- Go and See park Skobelev and Panorama is memorial of the russian soldiers died in The Russian-Turkish war 1878. In the Panorama there is uniqe and enormous paintings of the Pleven fights. The park outside the Panorama is named after the russian general Skobelev who lead the russian army. The park is wild and natural outside the city
Interesting to the visitors of the town are the Kailak fortress,
The Pleven Epopee Panoramic Exhibition,
The old bridge on the Vit river,
The beautiful area of Kailaka is close to Pleven